Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cherokee Bill assaulted
 Login/Join

posted
“Deputy Constables James McBride and Henry Connelly were tried in the circuit court last week for assault. Their attorney astonished the court by offering to plead guilty if the injured party was produced. As he was no other than Cherokee Bill, the offer was not accepted. In endeavoring to arrest Cherokee Bill, upon his last visit to Fort Smith last spring the officers had to hit him several times over the head before he extract his ivories from McBride’s thumb. The jury acquitted the officers.”
Indian Chieftain. December 13, 1894.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Sun November 20 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as I know Crawford Goldsby had never been arrested and taken to Fort Smith previous to his capture by Ike Rogers in 1895. This may be pertaining to another Cherokee Bill.

Posts: 373 | Location: Indian and Oklahoma Territories | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe he didn't get arrested. I believe the officers were attempting to arrest him, but he got away. They knew Cherokee Bill(Crawford Goldsby) wouldn't show up to court to testify against them, so why not plead guilty.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Sun November 20 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post