OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  "Old West" Oklahombres (pre 1907)    Was there a Wichita County, OK in 1876
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Was there a Wichita County, OK in 1876
 Login/Join

posted
I have a question for the history buffs reading this board.

I have been doing research on an early sheriff here in Oklahoma. In a book written in 1916 it says "at the age of ten, his father was murdered in 1876 while visiting his ranch he owned in Wichita County, Oklahoma" (they lived in Cooke Co., TX).

Now I know there were counties of differnt names (other than the current 77 we now have) before statehood. But I have searched and searched and have not found a Wichita County. I'm wondering if the book printed in 1916 should have read Washita County?

Anyone have any knowledge on this.

Posts: 130 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon September 04 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Liz, my 1878 map does not show such a county. There was however a Wichita Reserve set up under an unratified agreement in 1872. It was between the Washita and Canadian Rivers, west of the Reserve boundrey and east of the Gypsum or Glass Mountains. The only other thing I can think of is Texas may have attempted to set up a county in the area south of the Salt Fork of the Red River (old Greer County.) There was a Wichita County in the old Chickasaw District when they were part of the Choctaw Nation. The Chickasaw formed their own nation in 1855, so I doubt this is the one you are looking for.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tower,

Posts: 512 | Location: Cortez, Colorado | Registered: Fri December 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. I'm inclined to think it may have been the Wichita Reserve. I was at the library today, but my time ran out before I could look at the book to see if it may have a map in it giving more information.

Posts: 130 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon September 04 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be inclined to say that the Wichita County referred to would have been in north Texas given the fact that the year is given as 1876[no land ownership in 1876 in the Wichita reservation] and the mention of a ranch. There were some "ranches" in the Wichita reservation but they were mainly owned by Caddoes.

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist
Secretary, Oklahombres Inc.

Posts: 376 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post