Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Purdy Gang
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone have any information on the "Purdy Gang" in Oklahoma?

Posts: 1 | Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, USA | Registered: Mon January 19 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chester (Alton) Purdy and his companions knocked off a dozen grocery stores, etc. in the mid-1920s in Okmulgee and Okfuskee Counties.He was suspected of murdering two cops and attempted several prison escapes after his capture.He ran with "Ace" Pendelton and "Grandpa" Harrison. Need any more, e-mail me.

geocities.com/ezlane2002/Homepage

Posts: 126 | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Webmaster
posted Hide Post
I think there was also a Purdy gang of Indian Territory that shot and wounded lawman Heck Thomas in the area of Snake Creek. The details are most likely found in "Law West of Fort Smith" or "West of Hell's Fringe" by Glenn Shirley.

Cool

Dee Cordry
okhombre@ionet.net
Oklahombres.org webmaster

Posts: 158 | Location: Piedmont, OK | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is also mention of this Purdy Gang in "Heck Thomas Frontier Marshal" by Glenn Shirley. Pages 93,94,95,96. Also "Heck Thomas, My Papa" by Beth Thomas Meeks and Bonnie Speer. They are mentioned with my great grandpa Wallace..............Connie Karle

Posts: 27 | Location: Selma, CA USA | Registered: Fri December 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually knew "Al" Purdy. In his later years he lived very simply in Westville OK near a dear friend he referred to as "Little Bit" not sure of her real name. Al was quite a character. He didn't talk much of his life of crime, but he did hint as to unfound loot. He was quite free with money, so I suspect he still had access to some of that money. I have an old recipe he gave me for his famous Purdy Pickles.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Fri July 20 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, are these Purdy Pickles any good?

Posts: 30 | Registered: Tue August 08 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are. They use up all the cukes that got too ripe to pickle. When they are yellow, you can make a sweet cinnamon pickle that tastes like apple rings.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Fri July 20 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by karlec:
There is also mention of this Purdy Gang in "Heck Thomas Frontier Marshal" by Glenn Shirley. Pages 93,94,95,96. Also "Heck Thomas, My Papa" by Beth Thomas Meeks and Bonnie Speer. They are mentioned as well as my great grandpa DUSM,James C.Wallace,who was one of Heck Thomas's Deputies...............Connie Karle

Posts: 27 | Location: Selma, CA USA | Registered: Fri December 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post