OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  "Old West" Oklahombres (pre 1907)    Was gambling legal in the IT?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Was gambling legal in the IT?
 Login/Join

posted
I had thought not, which makes the following article hard to understand (5 January 1890, Chillicothe Morning Constitution, p. 1):

"A Gambler's Complaint

Gainsville, Tex., Jan. 4---Deputy Marshal Swain passed through here with warrants for the arrest of Deputy Marshals Thomas Cadell and Ridenour and Indian Policeman Charles Laflore who are charged with robbery by ex-Deputy Marshal C. J. Foster, who claims that the officers unlawfully took from him two revolvers and broke into his house and took a lot of gambling paraphernalia. The complaint grew out of a recent raid on Foster's gambling house in the Indian Territory by these officers, who were acting under instructions from Indian Agent Bennett."

--meursault

Posts: 215 | Registered: Thu December 11 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gambling was not legal, but there was a heck of a lot of it going on. In the time frame mentioned, the I. P. was raiding gambling establishments up and down the railroads in I. T., shutting 'em down and in some cases burning the equipment used. This arrest looks to me like a response to a complaint of illegal entry and seizure, same as stealing.

Posts: 512 | Location: Cortez, Colorado | Registered: Fri December 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I came across a specific cite to the gambling question. The Territorial Topic for May 22, 1890, discussing the new congressional act organizing the Indian Territory Courts. Marshal Tom Needles sent his deputies a summary of the Act including specific offenses. Listed under misdemeanors were: Carrying on lotteries or selling lottery tickets and gaming and Keno. These were offences drawn from the laws of Arkansas which were also used by Parker before the 1889 transfer of power to the Oklahoma Territory Court.

Posts: 512 | Location: Cortez, Colorado | Registered: Fri December 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post