OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  "Old West" Oklahombres (pre 1907)    Jack Stillwell signed cabinet photo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jack Stillwell signed cabinet photo
 Login/Join

posted
I was at a local auction in Pennsylvania, and In a box of cabinet photos I found a cabinet photo from a Kansas photogapher identified with the subject as Jack Stillwell US scout. It is signed in pencil on the back. After some research online I was able to find one other photo of him although much younger and it is 100% the same person. In the photo the older Stillwell is wearing a small badge on the knot of his necktie. I was wondering if any other photos are know to exist or I might have found something that might have some historical importance.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Wed June 30 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is an interestng and great find.
OurDiron Lacina Ahlquist has at least one article about him as follows:
http://www.usgennet.org/usa/ok...outlaws/stilwell.htm

SIMPSON EVERETT "JACK" STILWELL: MAN OF MANY TALENTS...Written, Submitted & © by:
Diron Lacina Ahlquist, 2003

I'm sure his photos would be of interest to DIron and many western fans.

Posts: 90 | Location: Justiceburg Station, TX | Registered: Thu March 27 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jack Stillwell was employed as a cavalary scout at Ft Sill, IT in the 1870's. I believe he also held a commission as a deputy US Marshal. Jack was a brother of Frank Stillwell of Tombstone and the OK corrall bunch. If I remember correctly he was killed by his wife at a ranch in Texas in the 1870/80's. There is a large photo of Jack and Jimmy Jones in the museum office at Ft Sill. Bob McCubbin has the original.

Posts: 37 | Location: Lawton, Oklahoma | Registered: Sat February 12 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should have read Diron's article before I commented. Stillwell was present at the killing in Texas, but it was Jack Kilmartin that was murdered by his wife.

Posts: 37 | Location: Lawton, Oklahoma | Registered: Sat February 12 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello. I am a descendant of the Stilwell family and have written on Jack and Frank Stilwell in a number of journals and have spoken at Oklahombres rendezvous on Jack. I have probably ten different photos of Jack - no verified photo of Frank exists, no matter what any website shows you - and I would be glad to authentic your photo, or just to share information with you about Jack.

I am the editor of the Wild West History Association Journal and a past-president of Oklahombres and most any long-term member of Oklahombres can vouch for me.

Please contact me at royyoung@pldi.net and we can discuss. Thanks, Roy

Posts: 1 | Registered: Thu July 01 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you buy it? Would love to see the photo

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist
Secretary, Oklahombres Inc.

Posts: 376 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post