OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  "Old West" Oklahombres (pre 1907)    Wiliam A. Bailey, Indian Constable
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wiliam A. Bailey, Indian Constable
 Login/Join

posted
I am seeking all information on William Augustus Bailey. He was appointed Indian Constable in Winnewood in 1905. He would have been living with my grandmother, Nora Isabella (by another woman), his son William Roosevelt, and his wife Kate, who might have been Indian. William rode with the Rough Riders and was wounded on San Juan Hill, July 2, 1898. His appointment states he was a policeman in Wynnewood prior to his appointment.

My grandmother was born out of wedlock to William and Jannie Pearl Robersen in Red Oak, Texas, below Dallas. Her DOB is 1893. Her mother committed suicide in Dallas around 1900 (date unknown, place of burial unknown). Apparently, William came and took her from Jannie Roberson’s family, even though they wanted to keep her. He took her back to Oklahoma. He died prior to 1910. When he died, Mrs. Robersen, now Mrs. Brumley, drove a buggy to Oklahoma, got her and took her back to Erath County Texas. There she married my paternal grandfather, Harmon Pleasant Wylie.

All this means that William died probably between 1905 and 1909. Our family oral history relates the following:

William died in bed, probably from sickness or disease. I can find no mention of his dying violently.
My grandmother remembers his guns (pistols). They really impressed her and apparently he wore two of them.
My grandmother told stories of living in a “big ole house that backed up on a hill. Apparently part of it was in the hill” she told of seeing Indian handprints on the walls and hearing Indian stories that scared her.
My mother remembers her talking about Wynnewood and Cleveland, Oklahoma.
When my grandmother left Oklahoma, she would have been about 13 or so. I have not checked school records. She had no contact with her half brother or step mother for the rest of her life. I have made contact with William Roosevelt’s line in Oklahoma City.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Mon December 13 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post