Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dalton/Doolin gang Marshals
 Login/Join

posted
My grandfather, W C "Doc" Roberts was one of the marshals involved with the gang. I have visited the area of Red Rock where he homesteaded, Ingalls, the library in OKC and online. Plan to visit Ft. Smith this fall.
Does anyone know of any photos of the deputies involved or newspaper articles about the incidents three or four years after Ingalls?
I am writing a book about my family and this was just one of the many exploits of my grandfather's.

David R Campbell

Posts: 4 | Registered: Tue January 27 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
David,
I'm fascinated by the fact that Doc Roberts was your grandfather. I'm researching a work about the law and outlaws during these last days of the West. I would be interested in anything you'd like to share about your grandfather. Most of the material I've researched seems to lean toward Red Lucas when in fact, it seems clear that your grandfather was the one in charge of slipping into Ingalls and reporting back to Hixon which was in town at the time since Nix was out off addressing the Cherokee Land Run.

So much material comes from Lucas and other sources regarding their spying and the events that followed. Lucus did that interview years later, but to hear it from him he was doing it on his own and had brought along an old fisherman to help with his cover story. It's a cute story, but obviously questionable. Dr. Pickering's diary clearly states that Lucas and your grandfather had come to town stating they were with the land office. It's important for me to know the truth as accurately as possible and I have yet come across material about your grandfather. Where did he come from? Was he there during the gun battle in Ingalls? What happened to him afterwards?

I'm making a trip to Oklahoma this summer and the Dickerson Library is opening their Glenn Shirley library to research. I don't know if he has anything specifically about Doc Roberts. I plan to visit many places on my trip, including Fort Smith. Was your grandfather one of Parker's original deputies?

I would appreciate anything you could provide or point me toward and I would be happy to help you in any way. Good luck with your book and I look forward to hearing from you.

My email is randal.long@yahoo.com

Thank you for your time.
Randal Long

Posts: 6 | Location: United States | Registered: Tue July 29 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My grandfather was born in Union, WV (Virginia, then) in 1854. His father was a quartermaster in a division from Roanoke and Walter (Doc) Roberts was a drummer boy in 1864-65 in the Confederate Army. After the war they returned to Union for several years and then the family moved to Greenfield, IN. Walter sometime along there apprenticed to a doctor and apparently went to a medical school in St. Louis after marrying a daughter of a prominent Greenfield family. Walter moved around several times, ending up in Kansas in time for the rush where he had been appointed a temporary deputy marshal. He homesteaded near Red Rock where his wife died about 1896. One living son raised by his sister's family. After Bill Dalton's death and the ruckus at Ingalls, he dropped from sight. Showed up in Idaho married to a new wife in 1899 or so. One daughter there, changed his name by reversing his middle name with his last name, and then went on to Southern California where they had 3 more children, my father the youngest. Walter (now Walter Roberts Campbell) died in 1918 in Willow Brook, CA Details of the fight at Ingalls came from others - Shirley mainly. He evidently never talked much about Oklahoma. What this comes from are census records, army records, courthouse records and conversation with his cousin in 1972. She grew up with Walter's first son.
Lots of gaps there to fill in.

David R Campbell

posted Hide Post
My Grt.-Grt. Uncle Isaac Steele was also one of the deputy marshals at the Ingalls incident.
He is mentioned by Shirley and as I recall was in the wagon with Ed Masterson that took a wounded citizen to Guthrie afterward. I have a picture of him along with other marshals of that era that I could share if interested.
My maternal grandfather remembered uncle "Ike" stopping by his family farm south of Elk City Ks. to visit. He said then that he was looking for the Dalton boys. Unfortunately I have no other evidence of him on such a mission other than the statement from my grandfather.

My paternal grandmother rented a room to an old man ...some 60+ yrs. ago and he had been a farmer near Coffeyville Ks. and told me that several heavily armed men rode onto his place and were asking about the water level of the near-by creek as they needed to cross it to get on to Coffeyville. They rode on peacefully he said and he remembered being impressed with their weapons and their very fine horses. Later he found out that he had seen the Daltons! I believe his story as he was a very quiet distinguished old gentlemen with nothing to gain from making up such a story just to impress a little kid...who had never heard of the Daltons anyway!

Sorry for arriving so late to this discussion but have not been on this site for some time.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Tue October 23 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to see that picture that hawkervern mentions.

My email is: dave@pcpowernet.net

David R Campbell