Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Milo Creekmore
 Login/Join

posted
I have been trying to find out more info on Indian Territory lawman Milo Creekmore. He was involved in several raids on Ned Christy's fort. Any info will be appreciated.

Posts: 373 | Location: Indian and Oklahoma Territories | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Mary Lou HUdson>
posted
Contact me at hudgo@medt.com

I have a lot of info on Milo Creekmore.

Mary Lou

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Mary Lou HUdson>
posted
The following link is on Henry Starr and mentions Milo Creekmore.

http://www.larned.net/rogmyers/henry.htm
"Around November 5, Starr and a companion named Milo Creekmore stole two horses from a "certain old-timer, well-known around Nowata." Starr and Creekmore rode away on the stolen horses into the Osage Hills, and for the first time, Henry Starr found himself running from the forces of the law. It would certainly not be the last."

Mary Lou

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greetings,

Milo Creekmore is my Great Grandfather as well as Randolph Brown Creekmore my Great Great Grandfather. Both of which were Deputy US Marshals. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Thu September 01 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have much information in regards to Milo working with Deputy U.S. Marshal Bass Reeves. Such as which years and for how long. I do have them working together in several case files I got from the National Archives.

Posts: 373 | Location: Indian and Oklahoma Territories | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey..Milo is my great-grandfather also.

Your best bet may be with the museum at Fort Smith. Last I heard some years ago was they were putting together a marshal's exibit.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mon January 09 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Milo Creekmore is my grandfather.
My mother is his youngest child.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Tue May 02 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is all the info that I have on the Creekmores:

Milo Creekmore was a deputy U.S. marshal for the Western District of Arkansas in the 1880s and 1890s. On October 11, 1892, Creekmore and fellow marshals, William Bouden, David Rusk, and Charlie Copeland cornered Ned Christie in the Cherokee Nation. After a gunfight where three of the marshals were wounded, Christie managed to escape.
**REFERENCES**
-Bixby [Oklahoma] Historical Society List of Early Area Lawmen & Outlaws
-Deadly Affrays: The Violent Deaths of the U.S. Marshals, by Robert Ernst, pg. 88-89
-Iron Men, by C.H. McKennon, pg. 124, 126
-Guns and the Gunfighters, pg. 43
-Law West of Fort Smith, by Glenn Shirley, pg. 60
-Fort Smith National Historic Site Federal Employee Database, 1872-1896
-Fort Smith Case File, Henry Starr, John Wilson, Milo Creekmore, Alfred Chaney, #68
-"Morning World Herald", Omaha, Nebraska, October 13, 1892
-"Daily Review",, October 13, 1892
-"Cherokee Advocate", May 27, 1893
-"Van Buren Press", c. May 27, 1893

R.B. Creekmore was a Confederate veteran of the Civil War having served in Company E, 6th Kentucky Cavalry. Following the War, Creekmore became a deputy U.S. marshal for the Western District of Arkansas and was known to be serving in this capacity in 1889-1892. He died on June 28, 1893 and was buried in the National Cemetery at Fort Smith, Arkansas (Section 5, #2724).
**REFERENCES**
-Fort Smith Case File, Lafeyette Cogburn, #217
-Fort Smith Case File, Charles Smith, #496
-Fort Smith Case File, John Starr, #326
-Fort Smith Case File, Steve Tilley, #272
-Fort Smith Case File, Alexander Lewis, James Johnson, #233
-Fort Smith Case File, Alexander S. Lewis, #257
-Fort Smith Case File, James Smith, #497
-Fort Smith Case File, John Starr aka Warfield, #68
-Fort Smith Case File, William & Wakoo Hampton, #248
-Fort Smith Case File, George Tobler, #225
-Fort Smith Case File, Foot Dillard, Gill Dillard, Joe Brice, One Suggs, One Wilson,
One Warwick, #218
-Fort Smith Case File, Wesley Warren, Ketch Barnett, #276
-Fort Smith Case File, John Wilson, #202
-Fort Smith Case File, Zack Davis, One Ike, John Step, #49
-Fort Smith Case File, Zack Davis, John Step, #49
-Fort Smith Case File, Sam Sixkiller, #179
-Fort Smith Case File, Cooper Surratt, #185
-Fort Smith Case File, John Step, Marion Odim, Enoch Davis, #175
-Fort Smith National Cemetery Historic Information
-A Walking Tour of the Fort Smith National Cemetery
-Field Notes, Diron Ahlquist, November 20, 1999

Randolph B. Creekmore was a deputy U.S. marshal for the Western District of Arkansas sometime between 1872 and 1896. He may be the same "R.B. Creekmore" listed above.
**REFERENCES**

Renfroe B. Creekmore was a deputy U.S. marshal for the Western District of Arkansas sometime between 1872 and 1896. He may be the same "R.B. Creekmore" listed above.
**REFERENCES**

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist
Secretary, Oklahombres Inc.

Posts: 376 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am the grandson of Thomas Vannoy Creekmore, the eldest son of Milo.

I would ask him about his father, but he died back in 1993. Even some of the information he did give was a bit conflicting.

According to T.V. Creekmore, Milo commited suicid when T.V. was 16 years of age. There are pictures of Milo in his later years. The first time I saw the pictures I thought it was T.V. Creekmore, but closer inspection I realised it was not.

I do wonder what R.B. Creekmore was doing prior to Civil War with the 6th Kentucky Cavalry and Deputy Marshal as my information shows Milo born around 1852 in the Fort Smith area.

posted Hide Post
Did he go on to marry the Runyan girl after killing her father?

Posts: 4 | Location: southweat | Registered: Wed February 26 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gagey:Milo Creekmore
Did he go on to marry the Runyan girl after killing her father?

Posts: 4 | Location: southweat | Registered: Wed February 26 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgilliam:
Greetings,

Milo Creekmore is my Great Grandfather as well as Randolph Brown Creekmore my Great Great Grandfather. Both of which were Deputy US Marshals. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Do you have any information on him when he was arrested with Henry Starr and Kid Wilson and Alf Cheney? I may have a picture of him with Cora Runyon.

posted Hide Post
Yes, Milo married Cora Runyon after killing her father. He was arrested for murder. It is my understanding Milo and Cora did not have a relationship before, nor after. Supposedly it was between Cora, and his cousin. Milo was just helping them be together. Cora had gone to the place where Milo lived, so he could help her visit with his cousin. Unlike what the movies show, women did not go around unaccompanied in the night. So her father followers her, then Milo and Cora's father get into argument which then escalated. Since she was the only other witness to this, shortly after, they got married because of the law which prohibits a wife from testifying against her husband. The charges were dropped, and incident deemed self defense.

This was about the same time Milo was under charges for the gang robbery with Henry Starr. I don't the exact dates now, but this would be about mid 1890s. As he pleaded guilty to in exchange for testifying against Henry Starr as the ring leader for reduced sentence. I do recall it was six years confinement to a Federal penitentiary in New York. By my calculations, if he served all six years, it would have been well past the year 1900 before release.

He did not return to Arkansas due to death threats from the Cherokee community, and instead went to Texas. I assume he did nowhere near the six years due to the other things he did prior to marrying his next wife, Alma Yarbrough. Things such was working on the ship docks in Galveston, TX, and eventually making his way aboard a ship to South Africa where he took part in the Boer War under Lord Kitchener. The Boer War ended in 1902. I would assume by this, Milo did no more than two years time.