OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  "Old West" Oklahombres (pre 1907)    Marshal N.G. SPEED / Okla I.T.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marshal N.G. SPEED / Okla I.T.
 Login/Join

posted
I'm curious if anyone has ever heard of, or knows, if there was actually a Marshal named N. G. Speed that worked in the Oklahoma Indian Territory. I saw a badge on eBay that just sold tonight for $416.99 that had this man's information on the badge. When I tried to do some research about this Marshal I could only find a Marshal by the name of Richard Speed who at age 25 was shot and killed during a gunfight with a group of seven outlaws in Ingalls, Oklahoma Territory on Friday, September 1, 1893. I wonder if the N. G. Speed is related to Richard. If you want to look at the badge, here's the link => http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBSOLE...rksid=p2047675.l2557

You have to scroll down once you get on the page.

Posts: 13 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: Tue February 27 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks a little too good to be true. Never heard of an N.G. Speed and the Okla, I.T. does not seem to match the "Marshal" or "N.G. Speed" font/styling. Not many lawmen 1) had badges they used their paper commissions as proof of their office and 2) it was not common to have the lawman's name inscribed on their badge. That occurred much later post-1900

Diron Ahlquist

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist
Secretary, Oklahombres Inc.

Posts: 376 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reply and your insight regarding the badge. I appreciate it.

Posts: 13 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: Tue February 27 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a pretty intensive search, and could find no-one by that name associated with Oklahoma, IT or OT. This included what is supposed to be a complete list of deputies out of Ft. Smith.

I think Diron nailed it.

Dan

( formerly Cowboy Dan)

Posts: 56 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: Sat August 16 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dan, and yet someone made pretty good money on it. I wouldn't have bid on it if I weren't sure it was authentic.