OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  "Old West" Oklahombres (pre 1907)    I need some help in photographing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need some help in photographing
 Login/Join

posted
an old pistol (pearly handle) that was used to kill a deputy US Marshal in 1894. At this point I do not know what condition the gun might be in, but am inclined to think it is in pretty good condition given what I have been told.

Anyway, in 2-4 weeks I'm driving to southern OK to visit with the lady who has it (a granddaughter to the deputy US Marshal). I have a Cannon A710IS digital that I recently purchased and have been getting very good photos with it. I plan on taking a piece of black velvet and a light colored piece of velvet to place the gun on and then take photos. Black may not be such a good color because of the color of the barrell.

To those who have photographed guns (specifically pistols) can you offer me some suggestions on what might be the best method of photographing a pearl handled pistol?

Posts: 130 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon September 04 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not more than an amateur photographer, but I feel that a couple of photos of the markings on the weapon and the weapon as a whole are helpful. These shots would be helpful to documenting the existence of this weapon as well as establishing the provenance.

Posts: 47 | Location: Pawnee | Registered: Fri June 17 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for telling me about the markings - I would never have thought of that.

I made it to southern OK and was able to view the gun and actually got to handle it (with gloves on of course). I photographed the gun on a hunter green cloth using natural light (the color and light suggested on another board) and turned the flash off; used a tripod even though it was a digital camera; got the markings of the gun and several shots of the gun in whole.

As it turned out it was a Colt 45, pearl handle, pattened 9-10-1871. It had two other dates immediately under the patent date of July 2, 1872 and January 19, 1875 - not sure what those dates mean unless it was the time frame when the gun was made. This was indeed a first for me.

I also obtained two photographs of the widow of the U.S. Deputy Marshall who was killed with the gun.

Anyway, this was an experience for me.

Posts: 130 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon September 04 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool, I have always found it fun and exciting to get my gloved hands on a piece of history. With the information from the markings you may be able to contact Colt, or an appraiser to get a record of when and were it was manufactured, and possibly sold.

Posts: 47 | Location: Pawnee | Registered: Fri June 17 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes you can write to the Colt factory and request a letter on a particular gun but the letters are some what pricy, can be $150.00 and up on Single Actions Armies. You will need to send them the serial number of the weapon.

The dates you saw on the revolver are patent dates, when the various patents for the model were granted. The same dates are on SAAs made today.

"I wasn't but 145 pounds but I had a good pistol" T.W."Buckshot" Lane, Sheriff Warton County Texas

Posts: 20 | Location: North Little Rock, Ar. U.S..A. | Registered: Sat December 13 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post