OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  "Old West" Oklahombres (pre 1907)    Possible US Marshal Jesse Morris
Possible US Marshal Jesse Morris
I am told that Jesse Morris moved from Texas to Oklahoma and served in the US Marshal Service. He allegedly died in a gun battle. I can only narrow the dates down to between, say, 1830 and 1870. Can anyone direct me to a resource that can either confirm of deny this information?
Posts: 1 | Registered: Thu November 09 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

I found no Jesse Morris listed in the Oklahoma Law Enforcement Memorial or in Robert Ernst's book [I]Deadly Affrays, which are two very good sources that list U.S. Marshals who were killed while carrying out their duties.
Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not quite on the subject, but is there a source that lists persons who served as Deputy U.S. Marshals?

I have been researching the Dunn brothers (Charles (Dal), Bee, John, George,and Dick, out of the Payne/Pawnee County area. Many of the published articles say that Charles(Dal),Bee, John, and George were deputized (no endnotes to give sources). I've yet to find any written record of it. Time frame was 1895-1896. Territorial records should cover this but chasing them down is another story. Thoughts anyone?
Posts: 130 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon September 04 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's not, at least to my knowledge, a comprehensive listing of all US Deputy Marshals. If they served out of Parker's court, a good place to start looking for information is at the National Historic Site database:


I see that 3 Morrises served as USDMs, but none named Jesse. Might that have been a nickname? There's one John Morris, and a J.W. Morris. But no dates of service are listed.

Posts: 215 | Registered: Thu December 11 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two Jesse Morris names listed in my manuscript of known lawmen. Hope this helps:

-Jesse Morris was a deputy U.S. marshal in Oklahoma Territory in 1900. He was killed in a saloon gunfight at Mountain View, Oklahoma Territory in December 1900. The fight was between Deafy Williams, a half breed Indian named Call, and an unidentified Mexican. Also killed in the gunfight was Deputy U.S. Marshal Tanner.
-"El Reno News", December 13, 1900

-Jesse Morris was a deputy sheriff in Kiowa County, Oklahoma Territory in 1906. He participated in the arrest of outlaw "Deacon" Jim Miller in 1906.
-Alias Frank Canton, by Robert K. DeArment, pg. 262
-Shotgun For Hire, by Glenn Shirley, pg. 72

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist
Secretary, Oklahombres Inc.
Posts: 376 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The full name of J. W. Morris of Mountain View, OK was Jesse Whitfield Morris.

My source for this information is my grandfather's recollection of family history.

Thank you Diron for posting the reference to the "El Reno News" article of Dec. 13, 1900. My family is trying to identify Jesse's birth and death dates for a headstone for his unmarked grave in a family plot.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Wed March 21 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Great Grandfather's name was Jesse Witfield Morris. His daughter's name was Julia Myrtle Morris. She was my father, James L. Gilbert's mother. I would like any information on Jesse that anyone has. I know where he died--Gilbert Hotel in Mountain View, Oklahoma in 1910. I have a copy of his death certificate. Please contact me. Thank You.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Fri March 23 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Here's the story from my family. My great-grandfather was Jesse Whitfield Morris. He was married to Juliana Boyette (sp?) in the Wichita Falls, TX, area. They had three sons: Claude Alfred (Al) Morris (my grandfather), Ernest Morris, and Cletus Morris. Juliana died while they were in Texas, so Jesse brought his three sons with him to the Mountain View, OK, area where he was a lawman. He was shot and killed in Mountain View in the early 1900s. He is buried in Mountain View with other members of the family. My father told me Al had a half-sister in Oregon, but we don't know any details. Could this be your relative?
Posts: 1 | Location: Stillwater, OK | Registered: Fri March 23 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the Southwestern Progress (Kiowa Co.) December 14, 1900 (p. 1 col. 1-2):

FIVE MEN WOUNDED: Bloody Encounter Between Deputies and Outlaws Takes Place in Mountain View

Mountain View was the scene of a fierce battle Saturday night. It was a fight between deputies and a gang of outlaws, who were resisting arrest. Six men faced each other and never turned or flinched until each had emptied his gun and even then the empty six-shooters were used as clubs until the outlaws gave up the fight.

After the firing had ceased and the smoke of battle cleared away, five wounded men were found whose bleeding wounds told of the desperate struggle.

Deputy Sheriff JESSE W. MORRIS was found with a bullet through his right lung; Special Deputy ALFRED C. AKER had a bullet through his right knee; JIM WILLIAMS, known as "Deaf Jim", was wounded in the head, the bullet entering his jaw near the temple and passing out at about the same place on the opposite side; MART WILLIAMS escaped with only a wound in the flesh part of the left leg.

GEO. CARR, a half-breed Indian, was riddled with bullets. One struck him on the nose and cheek just below his right eye, ploughing a furrow across his face and almost carrying away his eye. He was also struck twice in the right breast, one bullet passing upwards and out at the back part of his right shoulder.

The fourth outlaw is known to be badly wounded but has not been captured and the exact extent of his wounds are unknown.

About 11 o'clock, Jesse W. Morris, who has a commission as deputy sheriff and who acts as marshal of Mountain View, was sitting in his office when a woman from the northwest part of town called and reported that three men were raising a disturbance at her place. Her house is one of "ill fame" and a frequent resort of a band of horse thieves and outlaws to which these men are supposed to belong. Members of the gang have frequently declared that they would kill the marshal if he attempted to arrest them; and, he knew the character of the men with whom he had to deal. Although, he did not suppose they had the grit to make good their boasts and put up the desperate fight that followed. Accordingly, Morris took young Alfred C. Aker, a barber, lately from Wichita, Kansas, along with him as a special deputy.

When the officers reached the south door of the house, the three men stepped out of the north door and fired two shots from a gun. The officers ran around the corner of the building to the east side where they met the men who had made for their horses. Marshal Morris told them the shooting must stop and they denied having done any shooting and said it was a man who went in another direction. The Marshal pretended to believe this and planned for a better chance to place the men under arrest as every one of them had his hand on his gun when they came around the house and met the officers.

Accordingly, the officers walked with the men up town, chatting in a friendly manner until all entered the Cattle Exchange Saloon. Here, Aker walked around behind the cigar case, located at the end of the bar, and Morris dropped behind and to one side of the three men, who are known as Jim and Mart Williams and Geo. Carr, the half-breed Indian. Here, Morris ordered them - - (print-out garbled at this point) - - man drew his gun and the fight commenced. As the Marshal took his first aim, the Indian struck his gun and the ball crashed through the large mirror back of the bar.

Deaf Jim fell at the commencement of the fight, but continued to fire deliberately. He fell close to the bar and from where he lay, blinded by his own blood, probably fired one of the shots that struck the Indian. Mart Williams was the only one unhurt and the first to leave. As soon as the fight commenced, a friend of the outlaws, who was in the saloon when they entered, drew his gun and took a part. He is known to be badly wounded, but made his escape and has not been found.

The Indian was game. He had two six-shooters with him and after emptying them both, cooly started to extract the empty shells with the evident purpose of reloading and renewing the fight. But, seeing two of his crowd leave and the other one lying helpless on the floor, he turned and walked out the side door; and, in his bleeding condition, walked a mile to a place where he asked for and received shelter for the night.

Deaf Jim was placed under arrest and taken to the Elk Saloon where his wound received attention. Later, he was taken to the office of the Calhoon House where he remained until morning in charge of officers.

Deputy Morris did not at first realize how seriously he was wounded and started to his office after his Winchester. When nearly there, he sat down on the walk and called for assistance. Both he and Aker were taken to their rooms and everything possible was done to relieve their suffering.

Deputy Sheriff Galloway, who was at Cloud Chief, was notified and came down at once. Sherriff Morrison, who was at Cordell, was also notified by telephone and came down with about twenty-five armed men for the purpose of starting posses in all directions for the purpose of hunting down and arresting the outlaws who had escaped. The precaution was unncecessary, however, his two deputies, who had so bravely stood-up and fought four desperate men, had done their work well and two of the outlaws had not gone far.

Barlow Coe, a deputy sheriff, who was on his way here, alone, met a man riding north and placed him under arrest and brought him back to town. He proved to be a messenger going to the HUGHES RANCH, north of here where most of the men engaged in the fight with officers had been at work. From him it was learned that Mart Williams was at a farm two-miles east of here and that the Indian was at a house in the northeast part of town. Officers were immediately sent to these places and the men brought in.

Mart Williams was taken to the Cordell jail and the other two prisoners, who are unable to travel, are yet at Mountain View under a strong guard.

Mr. Morris is resting well, considering the nature of his wound, and will recover. The ball entered his right breast, passed through the lung and was cut-out near his spine. W. N. Morris, a brother, E. W. Morris, a nephew, and Alfred Morris, a son, came from Texas in response to a telegram and remained until this morning when they returned home.

Mr. Aker is also resting well; but, (he) has a painful wound. As the bullet crushed the knee-cap and passed through the joint, it is not probable that he will ever fully recover the use of his leg.

(Southwestern Progess {Kiowa Co.} 12/21/1900 p.1, col.3) "Preliminary Trial" for George Carr, Mart Williams and Jim Williams for shooting at this place on (Saturday) 12/8/1900.

(Southwestern Progress {Kiowa Co.} 12/28/1900 p.2, col.2) "Six Officers and deputies had a stand up revolver fight with six outlaws at Mountain View. Most of both parties were hit but none were killed." (NOTE: This is obviously an exaggeration of the recent shoot-out in the Cattle Exchange Saloon, which only included three lawmen and four outlaws.)
Posts: 195 | Registered: Mon December 15 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found a reference once in one of my Grandfather's papers mentioning a "Morris" involved in a gun battle in the Cherokee lands but this would have been at least twenty years before the Dawes rolls and I have no idea if he was a deputy U.S. Marshal or not. Apparently, a lot of gunfire was exchanged, but there wasn't any mention of anyone dying that I recall. You might want to check the Cherokee police records and see if they have any records for that time period (1880-1889).
Posts: 9 | Registered: Wed August 31 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe I can answer many of your questions. Jesse Whitfield Morris was wounded in 1900 during a gun battle with outlaws. Although severely injured, he did recover (at least temporarily) from his injuries. An interesting sidenote: Jesse was engaged to be married the day after this battle, but obviously had to postpone the wedding until he recovered. Most people are aware of his first wife and children, but they are not aware of his second wife, Sadie May Henry, or their children, Lucille, Eva Lou, John Leo (Leo) and Iola. MANY, MANY people have his death date as 1900 when the battle occured and that is not correct. He died in 1910, from complications of the bullet that lodged in his lung. By the way, Sadie May Morris was my great great aunt. I have contact with one of her and Jesse's grandchildren.

Thank you to OLDWEST for posting the article, what a treasure for our family.
REDROSE: Jesse's birthdate is 30 Nov 1962 (Fayette, TN) and his death date is 03 Feb 1910 (Mt View, OK).
To the rest of you, I would genuinely love to have any documents you may have that you would be willing to scan and share.

For anyone directly related to Jesse Whitfield Morris, please feel free to contact me. I would be glad to put you in touch with more of Jesse's descendents.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Thu April 22 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're quite welcome! Happy that you found the article.
Posts: 195 | Registered: Mon December 15 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  

OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  "Old West" Oklahombres (pre 1907)    Possible US Marshal Jesse Morris

© Oklahombres.org 2011