Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Army Payroll
 Login/Join

posted
Is there any record of any army payroll being robbed in the Indian Territory? Just curious.

Posts: 373 | Location: Indian and Oklahoma Territories | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dennis Muncrief at the Murray County, Ok, GenWeb site OKMURRAY-L@rootsweb.com has an interesting story about a gold shipment bound for Fort Arbuckle that was attacked near Mill Creek.

Posts: 512 | Location: Cortez, Colorado | Registered: Fri December 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Guest>
posted
That story has been written up in the Lost Treasure magazine several times. The one I would like to know about is the Ft. Reno payroll robbery which my have been in Indian Territory as I have no date for it.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arkansas City Traveler, January 28, 1880.
Fort Reno, Indian Territory, January 18, 1880. Paymaster Broadhead, U. S. A., arrived here on the 15th inst. On the 16th a circular was issued from post headquarters announcing that the troops would be paid on the 17th, commencing at 9 o'clock a.m. Promptly at the hour one of these companies was marched to the Adjutant's office, but after waiting some time, was marched back without being paid, and it was whispered that "something was wrong." Soon the rumors flew thick and fast that "the paymaster had been robbed." The amount was variously stated at from $500 to $26,000. No payment was made, and it was evident that something indeed was very much wrong. The telegraph was soon flashing the news to department headquarters at Fort Leavenworth; but none, of course, of the outsiders knew just what was the matter. This morning it is stated by those who are presumed to know that the paymaster's safe was robbed of something over $20,000 while in transit from Leavenworth to this place.
It is stated that a board of officers was assembled yesterday, by authority of the Post Commander, Col. Beaumont, to take such measures as were necessary. The aid of our photographer was also invoked, and a number of negatives of the unlucky safe were taken.
There is a general feeling of sympathy for Major Broadhead; but we of the rank and file suppose that he will not be required to make any part of the loss good. Nevertheless, it must result in great and vexatious inconvenience to him. Times.
(from:Mary Ann Wortman's Home Page
December 21, 2001
Mary Ann Wortman
Arkansas City, Kansas)

Posts: 512 | Location: Cortez, Colorado | Registered: Fri December 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Guest>
posted
Thanks, but I was referring to the payroll wagon going to Ft.Sill that was robbed somewhere near Minco area.
Do you have a web address for Mary?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post