OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  "Old West" Oklahombres (pre 1907)    True Grit (2010) : movie review
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

True Grit (2010) : movie review
 Login/Join

Webmaster
posted
Just returned from the theater and watching the 2010 version of True Grit. Jeff Bridges stars as Rooster Cogburn. Matt Damon stars as LeBoeuf, Texas Ranger. And, young Hailee Steinfeld stars as Mattie Ross.

The beginning of the movie is narrated by a young Mattie, and the ending is narrated by an adult Mattie. Most of us know the basics of the story here: Mattie wishes to bring to justice the outlaw who murdered her father, so she enlists the help of deputy U.S. marshal Reuben "Rooster" Cogburn by offering him a reward. They are joined by a Texas Ranger who is also on the trail of the murderer. They leave Fort Smith by crossing the Arkansas River, and then enter the Indian Territory. By the end of their adventure, each of the trio have had a brush with death.

From the point of view of an Oklahombre, this movie is excellent. The movie faithfully portrays the battle over law and order in the Indian Territory during the reign of Judge Parker in Fort Smith. There is some humor in this movie, but not much. Mattie views a hanging in Fort Smith, among other spectacles.

In the 1969 version of True Grit, you will see some beautiful views of the colorful Rockie Mountains, which perhaps cast a romantic or nostalgic tone to that movie. No such thing in this 2010 version: the story takes place in winter, the trees are bare, and there is a cold, harsh feel to the story. There are no snow-topped Rocky Mountains in the background this time.

When Mattie first arrives in Fort Smith and steps off the train, there is a river at the end of the street. Of course, it is not really Fort Smith and that is not really the Arkansas River, but it fits well. Everything in this movie has been done well - the costumes, the dialogue, the weapons, and the "attitude" of the participants. This movie is well acted and well made.

I highly recommend True Grit (2010). It has got the Oklahombres spirit all over it!

Dee Cordry
dcordry@gmail.com
Oklahombres.org webmaster

Posts: 158 | Location: Piedmont, OK | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great..I was hoping someone would give us a preview...Sounds good. I'm off to the movies next week for sure...R. D.

Posts: 126 | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw the new True Grit tonight. I agree with everything Dee said. An excellent movie. I plan to see it again next week.

Posts: 37 | Location: Lawton, Oklahoma | Registered: Sat February 12 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I veiwed True Grit yesterday. It is a great western movie, in some wys better than the earlier version. I do miss the rendezvous with the Choctaw Lighthorse Police at McAlester's Store as it is told in the novel. I also felt more ethnic diversity could have been shown in the film, since we are talking about the Indian Territory and the Fort Smith court. The John Wayne film did have an African American bailiff similar to Isaac Parker's George Winston in real life. The juries in most cases also would be racially integrated in Fort Smith also. Beyond that the acting was superb and the cinematography was excellent. I will be looking for it to come out in Blu-Ray in the near future for my home collection. More films on Fort Smith and Judge Paker's court please.

Posts: 373 | Location: Indian and Oklahoma Territories | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I just got done seeing the movie. I have not read the book, but I think it is important to judge the movie with regard to its fidelity to the book. Personally, the Westerns just keep getting better and better. Purists will never be satisfied with a Hollywood production. And by the way, who can blame them. I'm an airline pilot, and I am constantly picking apart airplane movies! I liked the guns, the costumes, and the dialogue. I felt cheated on the length of the movie. It seemed to me that someone was in a hurry to wrap it up. Some scenes that were in the book should have been included to further develop the movie's ending. But, all in all, I would give it a 9, while my wife gives it a 10.

Posts: 48 | Location: Shasta Lake City, CA | Registered: Tue December 30 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post