Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movie "Appaloosa"
 Login/Join

posted
I had the opportunity to see the new western film "Appaloosa" with Ed Harris last weekend. The movie takes place in New Mexico in 1882, and concerns the exploits of a town marshal and his deputy. I believe this movie is one of the best westerns ever to come out of Hollywood. It is already in my top ten western films. The plot was very good, the costuming was excellent as was the cinematography. Now if we could only get someone to make a movie about the Oklahoma/Indian Territories with the same conviction and attention to detail. If you like western films go check out "Appaloosa." I thought it was much better than Clint Eastwood's "Unforgiven."

Posts: 373 | Location: Indian and Oklahoma Territories | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Art, I agree. Great movie. Now have my own copy since it came out on DVD. Saw it at the theater first and knew I had to have it in my collection.

Posts: 146 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As to an Oklahoma connection, I believe Ed Harris attended the University of Oklahoma. And, I have to agree it is one of the best western movies ever.

Posts: 512 | Location: Cortez, Colorado | Registered: Fri December 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rex Linn who plays the Sheriff is from Oklahoma. Robert Knott, the screenwriter and producer, has some kind of Oklahoma connection, he either lives, or lived in Oklahoma.

Posts: 37 | Location: Lawton, Oklahoma | Registered: Sat February 12 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is great to see we have like minds in Oklahombres concerning this film. After purchasing the DVD I viewed the edited film that was cut out of the movie. They have a sequence that shows an earlier town meeting and the man and his wife from Chicago being murdered. It was not that long and would have set up the narrative nicely if they had left it in. I heard Harris say that if they do an director's cut that sequence would be put back in the movie. They should have left it in to begin with. It is still a great western and hopefully will spur other good films. I thought "3:10 to Yuma" was like a 'Spaghetti Western' such as those European films from the 70s.

The Coen Brothers are in pre-production of making a supposedly truer vision of "True Grit" than the John Wayne film. I hope they do their research on Indian Territory and Parker's court adequately. Their movies are generally very good, such as their last one, "No Country for Old Men." Which some people refer to as a contemporary Western.

Posts: 373 | Location: Indian and Oklahoma Territories | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(Source: Sunday Oklahoman 8/6/1989 {Travel & Entertainment Sec.} p.1,5)

"Ed Harris has come a long way in a relatively short time. He has even been to Oklahoma.

'My folks were both from Oklahoma,' says Harris, who plays Bud Brigman in the underwater thriller The Abyss. The Abyss opens Wednesday in the Oklahoma City area.

'My brother still lives there. I grew up in New Jersey, but I moved back to Oklahoma when I was a senior in high school.'

'My grandma grew up in Walters, OK. And my mother was from Durant. Her folks had passed away. So, they moved back to Norman. I went to O.U. for a year. I was in the Soutwest Repertory Theater there, which is the summer theater. That's when I first started acting...In Oklahoma!' "

(Source: The Daily Oklahoman 3/12/1997 p.17 col. 1-8)

"Wrangler Award Winner Has Oklahoma Ties" by Sandi Davis, Staff Writer.

"Though his birth certificate is from New Jersey, actor Ed Harris' Oklahoma roots run deep. Harris' parents were from Oklahoma, and his grandparents lived in Walters and Stillwater, which meant he spent a fair amount of time in the Sooner State. He also attended the University of Oklahoma for a year."

Note: The Western Heritage Center's Western Heritage Awards at the National Cowboy Hall of Fame, was honoring his work in the television movie "Riders of the Purple Sage" based on the novel by Zane Grey.

"I wish I could be there to accept the award," Harris said. "It means a lot to me because I feel like Oklahoma is my home."

Posts: 194 | Registered: Mon December 15 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(Source: Daily Oklahoman 1/3/1997 {Weekend Section} p.1)

"Actor's (re: Rex Linn)Oklahoma Charm Shines Among Hollywood Stars," by Sandi Davis, Staff Writer.

Linn, a graduate of Casady School and Oklahoma State University, moved to Los Angeles in 1987 to pursue an acting career. He has worked steadily ever since. He has had small but key roles in 'Cliffhanger,' 'Wyatt Earp,' 'Clear and Present Danger,' 'Cutthroat Island,' and 'Tin Cup.'

On Jan. 12, Linn will return to Oklahoma City for the premiere of 'Last Stand at Sabre River,' a Turner Network Television movie that will be shown Jan. 19 on the cable channel.

Linn isn't the movie's only Oklahoma connection. 'Last Stand at Saber River' was directed by Hunt Lowry and also Suzy Amis, both Oklahoma City natives."

(Note: Both of the above posted articles, ie. Ed Harris & Rex Linn, have been shortened for use on this space.)

Posts: 194 | Registered: Mon December 15 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not quite Oklahoma, but just a mile or two north of the border, into southern Kansas-

David Carrico made the gunbelts and saddles
for this movie, as well as many others.

http://www.carricoleather.com/index.html

( formerly Cowboy Dan)

Posts: 56 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: Sat August 16 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, y'all. I think Ed Harris is a great actor, & I love Westerns. I didn't know what the movie Appaloosa was going to be like, but now I'm looking forward to watching it.

Posts: 169 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mon October 18 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brother and I have written a screenplay about Doolin and the Three Guardsmen. Please read:

www.wix.com/dfant4/oklahombres-the-movie

We want a traditional style western and not a modern take on a western trying to make it "hip."

Posts: 20 | Location: Muncie, In | Registered: Fri October 02 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post