Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

cave-house
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking for info. on a little Tulsa landmark known as "The Cave". It is located across from Newblock Park. Built in the 20's as a chicken restaurant, it was rumored to also be a "speakeasy". The original owners were Joseph Koberling and Joseph Purzer. I'm told it was used for bootlegging thru the late 50's at least. There is so much interest in the place I have begun to give tours. In doing so, I hear lots of rumors, legends, but would love to know more. Some of the interesting occupants , Bill and Ella (aka Rag Lady) Walker, are most likely the last of the bootleggers from that location. I'm told it was quite a popular watering hole in the 40's and 50's. I'm looking for any scoop on this place, or its occupants. Some names on the land records during that time were, Melton, Moorse, Mamie Chase. would love any comments

Posts: 2 | Location: Tulsa | Registered: Tue July 15 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good starting place would be to search through the city and telephone directories of the 20s to see if it is listed - to get a date when it originally opened.

Secondly, I would read the Tulsa papers for that timeframe that are on microfilm at OHS (possibly the library in Tulsa will have these also) to glean information about the place.

If it was used for bootlegging, surely there were raids that would have made the newspapers.

Sounds interesting.

Posts: 130 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon September 04 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post