Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

C.M. Gay
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone have any information on a Sheriff in Sequoyah County Oklahoma from 1914 until 1925 when he became deputy U.S. Marshall for another 6 and 1/2 years. He had a nick name Goodlow. I would like to see pictures or anything about him . thanks,

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sat December 22 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Casius M. "Cash" Gay was born February 5, 1889. He served as Sheriff of Sequoyah County, Oklahoma, from 1914 to 1925. I don't know anything about him becoming a Marshal. I believe that he died in January of 1969.

My notes on Mr. Gay report that there's a biographical sketch on him in Volume 2 of the Muskogee County History; however, I can't remember if a photo accompanied the story, or not. I'll check it out on my next visit to the Oklahoma History Center. Also, I'll check the Daily Oklahoma Electronic Archives for an Obit.

Posts: 194 | Registered: Mon December 15 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I appreciate that very much OLDWEST. I am trying to match him with a 45 Colt Single Action that I have with C.M. Gay stamped on the side of the frame of the gun. I have a Colt letter with it that says it was delivered to Speer Hardware in Fort Smith Arkansas on August 19, 1909. He may have not bought it there but is just across the river from Sequoyah county. I have looked at a lot of newspaper articles about him but no pictures or anything with him and the gun..Thanks,

posted Hide Post
According to "History of Sequoyah County: 1828-1975" by the Sequoyah Historical Society (1976 pp. 258-259), there is a family history / biographical sketch of C.M. (Goodlow) Gay, written by his wife, Mary Tucker Gay.

C.M. Gay came to Indian Territory in 1906 from Kentucky. Cleared land in the Arkansas River bottoms, floating timber to Fort Smith sawmill. Later, he worked for Pioneer Telephone Company, stringing wires across the Missouri Pacific Railraod bridge.

Settled in Sallisaw. Ran for mayor as a Republican, but lost. In 1914, he was elected County Sheriff and went on to serve until 1925. He married Mary Tucker in December of 1916.

According to a 1915 Oklahoma City newspaper, a meeting of County Sheriffs was held in Oklahoma City; and, C.M. Gay was referred to as "the Boy Sheriff" because he was the youngest Sheriff in Oklahoma. Many subsequent newspapers of the era sometimes referred to him as Sheriff "Carl" Gay or Sheriff "Cash" Gay. He was quite active in busting moonshine stills, and making many high-profile arrests . . . very active lawman.

During the war years he was drafted . . . and ordered by the Democratic controlled County Draft Board to report for induction. He resigned his commission and reported to Camp Travis for about 4 months of training. However, when it was discovered that he had been a duly elected peace officer, they discharged him; and, he resumed his duties as Sheriff. He was shipped back for military service two more times, but the feds continued to discharge him and send him home.

In 1925, he was elected sheriff for the last time, but after a contested vote by his opponent, he was deemed the loser of the count. He served as Deputy U.S. Marshal from 1927-1932.

According to the 1920 U.S. Census, Cassius M. Gay (b. c1890 Ky) and his wife, Mary, resided in Prices Chapel, Seq. Co., Oklahoma.

According to the 1930 U.S. Census, Cashus (sic) M. Gay (b. c1899 Ky) and his wife, Mary L., resided in Sallisaw, Seq. Co., Oklahoma, with their sons, Edward M. Gay (b. Feb. 1922) & Henry C. Gay (b. Mar. 1924). (Note: On this 1930 Census, Mr. Gay's occupation is listed as "U.S. Marshal" - - probably should be Deputy U.S. Marshal).

According to book "Cemetery In Sequoyah County, Oklahoma" by Muldrow Gen. Soc. & Barnes/Hansen (V. 5 p. 47), CASH M. GAY is buried in Row 48 of the Sallisaw City Cemetery. Date of Birth: Feb. 5, 1889. Date of Death: Jan. 2, 1969. Also on tombstone: OK Pvt Co. L 388 Infantry, WWI.

Obituary in "Sequoyah County Times" dated 1/9/1969 (p.1-2 col. 1)(with Photograph) - -reads " 'Goodlow' Gay Dies Following Long Illness". He died in the V.A. Hospital in Muskogee, OK. Article refers to him as Sequoyah County's "Mister Republican". Also mentions that he is survived by three sons (Edward, Henry & Duane), and seven Grandchildren, and seven Great Grandchildren.

I'm certain that there are family members still around who would be very interested in communicating with you about your .45 caliber pistol. "Good Luck!" with your research.

Posts: 194 | Registered: Mon December 15 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am the great-granddaughter of Goodlow Gay and would be very interested in learning more about the gun. Please contact me if you still have it. Thanks.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sun August 02 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sheriff Gay led the posse which chased the Price bros. across the country in the aftermath of the June 1922 Muldrow, OK bank robbery....

Posts: 126 | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Iowan:
Does anyone have any information on a Sheriff in Sequoyah County Oklahoma from 1914 until 1925 when he became deputy U.S. Marshall for another 6 and 1/2 years. He had a nick name Goodlow. I would like to see pictures or anything about him . thanks,

I am the Grandson of C.M.Gay and have many pictures of him and alot of information. As far and the gun I would be very interested in talking to you about it. Please contact me if you are still interested. Thanks.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Thu March 24 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Iowan,

I am the grandson of C.M Gay and would be very interested in talking to you. I do have a few pictures of my grandfather during the time he was Sherrif and Deputy U.S.Marshal along with other information about him.

posted Hide Post
Hi : I just read your remarks about C.M. Gay. I would love to see pictures of him especially with that particular gun that I have. It is a 45 Colt single action. I am 99% sure it was his. Everything just fits including the gun shipped to Fort Smith.
Let me know if you want to visit about this.
Is it possible to scan pictures to me? I do want to go to Sallisaw sometime and do some research. Are you in that area?
I appreciate your response.

Howard.

posted Hide Post
HI Howard,

I would be happy to scan some pics and send them to you. None of them include that particular gun that I'm aware of, I beleive there is one with his side arm. The hand gun that grandpa carried most of the time was a S&W 38 that my cousin has. Let me go through the pics and I'll get them to you. I live about 45 miles from Sallisaw but grew up in that area. When you get ready to come this way just let me know.

Chris

posted Hide Post
Hi Chris; Did he also stamp C.M. Gay on the S&W? I would appreciate any pictures that you can send me. hslagter@iowatelecom.net. I hope we can find where he actually owned the gun that I have as it is too strange to have one with his name stamped on it and when it was shipped to Fort Smith in the next county over. Lets keep in touch and I can even scan a picture of the gun to you.
thanks
Howard