OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  Oklahombres "Connections"    100 years of outlaws and lawmen
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

100 years of outlaws and lawmen
 Login/Join

posted
I see there is a new book book published by Pelican Press on 100 years of outlaw and lawmen in Oklahoma history. It covers the years between 1839 to 1939. A large share of the information has come from articles from the Oklahombres Journal. It will be interesting to see what members of Oklahombres think of this new publication. I thought more than a few important people were left out. No Indian lawmen were given consideration. Bass Reeves was noted as just being controversial. You could say this is the latest word but not the last.

Posts: 373 | Location: Indian and Oklahoma Territories | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oklahoma Kid:

Thank you for your comments on 100 Oklahoma Outlaws, Gangsters and Lawmen, 1839-1939. Indeed, some important figures we included were left out in the end, due to space limitations. We have every intention of covering them in a future work.

Posts: 7 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon December 05 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been looking for information on two men who robbed the bank my father worked at in 1929. Their names are William Campbell and Plez Clark.
Can you tell me if anything about them is included in the book?
Thank you.

Posts: 16 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: Tue August 23 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did a quick index review for these individuals and did not find them. Please provide a little more detail and I will review my research for our next project and see if I have anything.
Best
Larry Yadon

Posts: 7 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon December 05 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Larry,
On 3 jan, 1929 William Campbell and Plez clark robbed the Canadian Valley Bank in Asher, OK. They took Matt Hampton and Carl Cochrane (my father) as hostages. The hostages were released that evening.
This was the 2nd time that Campbell had robbed that same bank.
Both men were arrested by sometime in Mar. or Apr. Clark pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 15 years in the state penitentiary.
Campbell was caught in Texas where he had done some other robberies. He had also robbed a lumber yard in the Pott. Co. area more than once. He pleaded not guilty, was tried and found guilty and sentanced to 20 years in the penitentiary. This trial was held around the middle of May 1929.
I have some copies of the Shawnee, Seminole, and Okla. city newspapers telling about the robbery and trial but they say nothing about the men. I would like to find out more about them.
Carl

Posts: 16 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: Tue August 23 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This doesn't sound familiar, but it is intriguing. Will see what I can find.
Larry

posted Hide Post
can you tell me if there is any info on Sheriff Isaac Jasper Nelson in this book? He was Sheriff of Greer county and served more than one term. His first term was in 1902 and his last one in 1914.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Wed June 20 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just found this site as I am "re-starting" my genealogy search. My great grandfather was Jim McCarty, who owned one of the saloons at Corner. I have heard a lot of stories over the years, but am always searching for more. Does your book have any references regarding my GGrandfather? Thanks for your reply.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Tue September 04 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will check and let you know.
Larry Yadon

posted Hide Post
Is there anything in the 100 Year book about a C.M. Gay who was Sequoyah County Sheriff from around 1914 to 1925. Would like to see any pictures of him and match him with a particular gun.. thanks,

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sat December 22 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just picked the book up yesterday. I can hardly wait to get into it.

I did notice that the authors are confused as to which prisons were located in the Leavenworth area during the Union Station Massacre.

The same prisons are still there today. There is the (USP) United States Penitentiary (Federal Bureau of Prisons). The (USDB) United State's Disciplinary Barracks (US Army). The (KSP) Kansas State Penitentiary in Lansing, KS (Kansas Department of Corrections). KSP in Lansing is where inmates from Oklahoma were kept on contract after statehood, until Oklahoma State Penitentiary was opened.

Prior to statehood, inmates sentenced by the federal courts were housed at any of the three prisons on contract depending on the time in question. Indian Territory inmates housed at the Army's DB helped build the current USP.

Posts: 26 | Location: Kansas City, MO USA | Registered: Mon October 02 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Yadon:
Oklahoma Kid:

Thank you for your comments on 100 Oklahoma Outlaws, Gangsters and Lawmen, 1839-1939. Indeed, some important figures we included were left out in the end, due to space limitations. We have every intention of covering them in a future work.
----One simply cannot cover all of Oklahoma's criminal history in any single volume.Larry did a good job though. I discovered this fact while writing a similar endeavor, "Taming the Sooner State" (Obvious plug).All you can do is cover the highlights and what you believe most interests the reader...R.D.Morgan

Posts: 126 | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
R.D. came across a great old photo of a man, don`t know if he was a outlaw or not. But him with that 9" barrel six-shooter, with that grin, I`d give him about any thing that was loose in my pockets.His name was `Pete Perrier '. Funny the Lead Detective, thats still working on the E.C.Mullendore III murder case is named Bart Perrier. Still trying to figure getting photo`s up on this site.But new from a great-great-granddaughter, he was a Civil War Veteran and a Judge for the Osage Nation. They always said, looks can be deceiving. There`s something on the Belt buckle, that I`ve see on other lawmen, now that I look.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gus Rush,

Posts: 36 | Registered: Wed August 26 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have anymore information on Pete Perrier? Where he came from and when?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Thu March 18 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have an interest in the town where he was burried.

posted Hide Post
There`s a lot of information on the Perrier family in Osage County, Osage Indian Tribal Roll,many, many relatives, a famous Indian Affairs hearing,check my site `Osage Mineral Rights Holders Fiasco.ning.com', a few of the members on that site are related.Believe Pete brought his family down from either Kansas or Missouri in a move in 1871 or there a bouts.A Big Creek township comes to mind, Indians sometime took white men names , there were a lot of french traders in that area. It was said he was friends with the Great Osage Chief `Governor Joe'Osage name `Pa-I`n-No-Pa_She' that means (Not -Afraid of-Long hairs/Pawnees. I`ve a photo of Governor Joes tombstone in the Pawhuska Cemetery, which was a original Osage Tribal burial grounds before the tribe gave it to the city of Pawhuska for the use of all, Indian or not. That`s my Brother Bernard standing along side that tombstone,he`s now buried a short distance over from Governor Joe , and yes my brother was a Pawnee. Oh! thatphoto web-site is Osage County Tribute.com. By the way the head investigator in the still unsolved E.C. Mullendore III murder case in Osage County Ok. is a great,great,great grandson of Pete Perrier.That`s all I can say at this time, stay tune to Blog Talk Radio, Osage Post-Host Homer_J this coming Saturday March 20,2010 at 5:30 Central Standard Time we cover at lot of ground in the old Days in Osage County.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Wed August 26 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have talked to Bart, the 3xgreat grandson -- ironically, he and I have the same name -- Bart Perrier.

My family is from the NW AR area but MO before that. My great grandfather had a brother, they called the brother Pete, who left, we believe, from Bonnots Mill, MO for OK (this lines up with what you suspect about Peter Perrier's origins). My family disapproved of his leaving and lost touch with him. 3 gens later, supposedly, I run into Bart on facebook.

In short, I am starting to believe Bart is a distant cousin and Pete is a GG Uncle to me. Bart and I just discovered this this week. The irony is that Bart and I just happen to have the same name -- Bart.

I have an aunt on the perrier side who did a lot of research. I have sparked an interest with her as a result of what Bart and I have determined.

Perhaps this really is just a small world after all.