OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  Oklahombres "Connections"    Kinch West & Lefors Brothers Relation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kinch West & Lefors Brothers Relation
 Login/Join

posted
This is a very interesting kinship that I only discovered about 10 minutes ago. I have been researching the outlaw Perry "Kinch" West and, seperately, the Lefors brothers (Perry, Joseph, Rufe, and Newton) and found on the 1850 Federal Census that their families were both living in Dade Co., MO...even more surprising was that they are on the same census page. I did a little digging and it turns out that the Lefors' mother, Martha Mahala (West) Lefors, is the first cousin of Perry "Kinch" West...making the Lefors brothers 1st Cousins once removed to Kinch.

I am currently working on an article on Kinch West and another on the Lefors brothers for upcoming issues of the Oklahombres Journal.

The Lefors brothers are very interesting in that Perry was a deputy sheriff in the Texas Panhandle; Joseph was a cattle inspector, deputy U.S. marshal, and deputy sheriff in Wyoming and was the man who "snookered" Tom Horn into his confession of killing 14-year-old Willie Nickel; Rufus "Rufe" was a police officer at Lawton and also a deputy sheriff and later Sheriff for Comanche County, Oklahoma. Newton Lefors [the last name often misspelled as Laforce or Leforce] was a deputy U.S. marshal for the Western District of Arkansas and was killed in the line of duty.

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist
Secretary, Oklahombres Inc.

Posts: 376 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this. When will the ("I am currently working on an article on Kinch West and another on the Lefors brothers for upcoming issues of the Oklahombres Journal.") issues come out?

Do you have info on Martha Mahala West's family? I've always been curious about her family.

Thanks,
Martha.

Posts: 169 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mon October 18 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi my name is crystal francies and my brother scott has been doing research on our family history, we are the grandchildren of amos winfield trimble who is the son of cinderella west
any information you could e-mail me would be greatly appreciated, perry kinch west, is believed
to be an uncle to scott and myself. thank you crystal francies ( yeahyeah1961@yahoo.com)

crystal francies

Posts: 1 | Location: los angeles, ca | Registered: Fri November 26 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Diron, have you already published articles about Kinch West and the LeFors?

Posts: 169 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mon October 18 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
there will be a 101 collectors show in perry sat. 3-30-2013. they will have saddles, spurs, skilletts lots of books & all kinds of western items. show starts at 9am till 4pm. herman

Posts: 13 | Registered: Thu March 25 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Diron, have you already written/published your article about Perry West?

I was looking at some information online, and I found where a Wat Christie said: " 8. *Wat Christie...... Cherokee by blood, about 70 years old, resident of Goingsnake Dist.....knew Jeptha near the line between TN and NC....long time ago 50, 55 yrs maybe longer. Seen his family, wife Sewache, children, two young men Ice and Will and two smaller. Lived near the Hiwassee. I lived in Georgia before TN, grew up in Georgia. Lived about 30 miles from the Wests. Last time I saw Jeptha was about 5 years prior to emigration. He was near Hiwassee. Jeptha was 1/2 Cherokee. Sewache ws mostly Cherokee. I knew Wests in Georgia...don't know if Jeptha kin to them. Don't know who Jeptha's parents were. Was about grown last time saw Jeptha...about same age as Ice and Will. I had uncle that lived close by them. Uncle Nap Peak. Uncle said these children my full brothers( not sure what this means) Wat Christie goes on to say......I came to this country with the general emigration...got here in spring of the year in the detachment with Peter Hilderbrand"

I am wondering if this Wat, is Ned Christie's son Watt. I think it is. This article is about all the Wests.

3.* Peter B Long---Sequoyah Dist 1888....63 years old , knew Perry West, was with him during war 4. *J.M. Richmond 5.* James R. Lamar 6.* Thomas Gaunt ...Webbers Falls, 1888, 51 yrs old, knew Horsefly 7.* John Ross....Cherokee by blood, 64 yrs old, Flint Dist> stated he knew Jeptha West, who lived in Old Nation, two of his children Ice and Will. The mother was Sa-wa-che. Knew them in TN about 54 yrs ago, they were recognized as Cherokee.. Their names should appear in some of the authticated rolls of Cherokee.Jeptha lived near N Caorlina line at time of the general migration. John Ross says he knew Nap Peach back in old Nation..TN and NC. ...states Jeptha West lived about 15 miles from Nap Peach. John Ross lived with his father 16-17 miles from Jeptha who was 1/2 Cherokee. They remained there after emigration; not arrested or captured.

posted Hide Post
Sorry, here is the link to the source.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ances...E/2003-01/1042229702

posted Hide Post
I found the answer. I had it backwards. Ned Christie was Smith Watt Christie's son.

http://files.usgwarchives.net/...ines/nedchristie.txt

posted Hide Post
quote:
Uncle said these children my full brothers

I found the answer. Wat Christie was saying that he and the Wests were from the same clan, & related through their Mothers. Matrilineal Kinship System: In a matrilineal system, people trace their descent through the women instead of the men. In Cherokee society, a person's only relatives were those on his/her mother's side. Relatives included a person's mother and the mother's mother, sisters, children of the sisters, and brothers of the person - but not the children of the brothers. Accordingly, the Cherokees did not consider a person to be related by blood to his/her father or to the father's mother, sisters and brothers.