OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  Oklahombres "Connections"    Ft. Sill, Geronimo, Yale, President Bush
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ft. Sill, Geronimo, Yale, President Bush
 Login/Join

posted

Posts: 214 | Registered: Thu December 11 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having spent my childhood at Fort Sill and most of my adult life as a volunteer for the Fort Sill Museum, I have run across this rumor many times, but this is the first period documentation that has come to light that suggests that our current President, George W. Bush's, grandfather, Preston Bush, and others of the Skull & Bones Society of Yale University stole Geronimo's skull from his grave at Fort Sill. The Yale Alumni magazine has a reproduction of the full letter dated 1919 which is supposedly a year after the grave robbery.
If one visits the current monument of Geronimo's grave at Fort Sill's Apache POW Cemetery, it is currently covered in a layer of cobblestones. However, the actual site of his grave was not marked until well into the 1920s when Fort Sill Librarian, Morris Swett, used his connections within the Indian community to have elders locate the grave site. It has been suggested that if the bones were indeed stolen from a grave at Fort Sill, they very well may have been Geronimo's but in all liklihood were those of another Indian as the gravesite had not been marked at that time.
Several years ago, members of the Apache Tribe in Arizona wanted to move Geronimo's remains to Arizona, his homeland, but were denied by the federal government. That led to speculation that there was something to this story of a grave robbery. It has also been suggested by members of the Apache Tribe at Fort Sill that Geronimo's gravemarker was intentionally mislocated by tribal elders in order to protect his remains from being disturbed.
I see the only way of solving this mystery is getting ahold of the skull in the possession of the Skull & Bones Society and performing a reconstruction of the facial features. However, if the bones were those of Geronimo, it seems highly unlikely that the Society would ever give them up willingly.
A fantastic mystery none the less.

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist
Secretary, Oklahombres Inc.

Posts: 376 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My apologies...that should be Prescott Bush and not Preston Bush.

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist

Posts: 376 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first thing that needs to be done is to identify the skull, even though the letter states that it is Indian, until an anthroplogist it is unknown. The average person can't look at a skull and tell what ethnicity it is. It could possibly be from any of the numerous other groups with members burried there; including the outlaws and transients from the pottersfield, or from a small community near the base. It could with the proper work be proved to have originated from a location much nearer to the University. As far as the organization keping the remains; if they are determined to be Indian the tribes have the Native American Graves Repatriation Act to reclaim the remains under. There should also be federal laws to reclaim the remains if they are determined to be other than Indian. At any rate I feel this issue merrits further investigation; no matter how famous those involved (or their decendants) are, or what political party they are affiliated with.

Posts: 47 | Location: Pawnee | Registered: Fri June 17 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This past weekend I saw in the Lawton Constitution that Towana Spivey, director of the Fort Sill Museum, was interviewed regarding this story. He had mentioned that he had heard that the remains were taken from a "vault" at a Fort Sill cemetery and claimed to be Geronimo's. As stated previously, his grave was not marked until the 1920s or 1930s. The "vault" mentioned could only be the burial vault located in the main Fort Sill Post Cemetery which was originally the burial place of the wife of the post surgeon in the 1870s. Her body was removed when the surgeon was reassigned to another post. I believe that vault was empty for years until the remains of, I believe, Satank or Satanta were placed in the vault. I am not sure when this was done but believe it was done in the mid-20th Century long after Prescott Bush was at Sill. A very interesting story none-the-less.

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist

posted Hide Post
A May 2006 "Yale Alumni Magazine", online article talked about the Geronimo skull and grave robbing. There was correspondence from one boner to another about digging up the remains and taking the femurs and skull, and it did mention Bush.
I would think that DNA from the direct matriarchal lineage of Geronimo and DNA from the bones would accurately prove or disprove the legend. I don't know to what extent the Skull and Bones are protected by "powers that be", but it seems the Apache Tribe could file suit on that Organization, but then again, I dont know....

By the way, did you know that President Clinton is the only president who passed a law for the benefit of the American Indians, in which that law was not renigged on. That was the law about making it illegal to move indian burial grounds.

I sounds odd to me that the grave was not marked for 20 years if it was inside a military fort. I would think that would be a rather guarded area. I can understand that the grave was robbed as an inside job.

I hadn't heard of Geronimo's skull being taken before. It is an interesting topic.

Skull and Bones....Knights Templar??

Posts: 16 | Registered: Sun July 31 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The grave of Geronimo was not marked for some time after his death. His grave is not located within the main post cemetery but is in the Apache Prisoner of War Cemetery located about 2 or 3 miles northwest of the original/old fort location on Fort Sill. It is currently within the present military reservation and all known graves are marked at least with government-issued white marble markers.

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist