OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  Oklahombres "Connections"    From Lincoln County to Prohibition
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

From Lincoln County to Prohibition
 Login/Join

posted
Okay, here's a connection for you. In the Lincoln County War there was a fellow from the Choctaw Nation by the name of Jim French. French belonged to a family of nogoodniks involved in just about every crime known to man but specialized in whiskey peddling. Two of Jim's brothers went to the pen in the 1890's for larceny and whiskey. Jim, wanted for murder and theft in New Mexico and not wanted even as a resident in Indian Territory left the region. Well, I'm informed by a descendant that some of Jim French's children, lived in OKC and that frequent guests to their house on NW32nd was none other than Bonnie and Clyde. According to this source, a relative of Jim French was A. B. French of Denton, Texas and he is supposedly the fellow who assisted Barrow in escaping the Texas prison far. Furthermore, Barrow was a shirt tail cousin to the Frenchs on the Bannister side of both families. This period is not my field of expertise, so I guess the question is, does this information fit anything know?

Posts: 512 | Location: Cortez, Colorado | Registered: Fri December 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<MKoch>
posted
Hi all,

The great escape, which freed several dangerous prisoners from the imfamous Eastham state prison farm on January 16, 1934, involved Raymond Hamilton, Joe Palmer, Henry Methvin, J. B. French (not A. B. French), and W. Hilton Bybee. French was serving 12 years for assualt to murder, robbery and theft of an auto from Hunt County, Texas. Two guards were wounded during the escape. Major Joseph Crowson was shot by Joe Palmer, developed pneumonia and died on January 27, 1934. French had the opportunity to run-off and went his own way into a near-by forest and made his way to the Trinity River on foot. He was recaptured the next day without meeting the men responsible for his brief taste of freedom, Bonnie & Clyde. I do not know of any connection with French to either Clyde Barrow or Bonnie Parker. French was not actually a part of the escaping group, but had the opportunity to run off and apparently did. It is my opinion that if he know either Bonnie or Clyde, he would have been made a part to the escape plan.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post