Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Western writer dies
 Login/Join

posted
Elmer Kelton, considered the best western fiction writer of all times and 7 time spur awards, and other awards, died at age 83 last Saturday. He was buried in San Angelo, TX today, Aug 27. 2009.
It was an honor to know him and to read his books. He will be missed.

Norm Brown

Norm Brown

Posts: 84 | Location: Justiceburg Station, TX | Registered: Thu March 27 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't know him, but I have read a lot of his books.

He will be missed.

( formerly Cowboy Dan)

Posts: 56 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: Sat August 16 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Elmer was a great western fiction writer. To me his book "The Hanging Judge" was better than "True Grit" as a fiction story on Parker's court and the Indian Territory.

Posts: 373 | Location: Indian and Oklahoma Territories | Registered: Wed February 04 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. Kelton always had his facts straight, historically speaking.
I just moved so I have misplaced the news article but I recall he did finish 2 books, one out this fall and another next year. I will followup when I find that article.

Norm Brown

Posts: 84 | Location: Justiceburg Station, TX | Registered: Thu March 27 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Other Mens Horses will be out in October. Texas Standoff will come out in the spring of 2010.

Posts: 37 | Location: Lawton, Oklahoma | Registered: Sat February 12 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition to the above I found a website with
Elmer's orbit and additional info.
http://www.elmerkelton.net/obituary.htm

Norm Brown