Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ron Owens-Author
 Login/Join

posted
I am trying to contact Ron Owens, author of Jelly Bryce: Legendary Lawmen. This book contains information regarding my uncles and grandfather, Caudill. I am seeking more information on them. My phone number is 321-724-8096.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sandy Rubio-Boitel,

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mon June 02 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure if these are the guys you're looking for but here is the info that I have on two Caudills who were lawmen in Oklahoma:

Caudill, William J.
William J. Caudill was born on December 28, 1850 in Barbourville, Kentucky. He served as a member of the upper house of the Kentucky state legislature for one term. He came to Oklahoma in 1902 and settled at Hobart in Kiowa County where he engaged in farming. In 1911, he was appointed the chief state prohibition enforcement officer for the state of Oklahoma to which position he was appointed by Governor Cruce to replace W.E. McLamore who had been removed from office for improprieties. In May 1912, he received a commission as deputy special officer in the Indian Service for the suppression of liquor among the Indians. Caudill resigned his office as chief state prohibition enforcement officer in June 1913 and returned to his farming activities in Kiowa County where he died of a sudden cerebral hemorrhage in April 1914. He was buried in the Hobart cemetery.
**REFERENCES**
-"Ada Evening News", August 21, 1911
-"Daily Oklahoman", August 21, 1911
-"Daily Oklahoman", August 23, 1911
-"Ada Evening News", August 25, 1911
-"Ada Evening News", September 6, 1911
-"Daily Oklahoman", September 8, 1911
-"Daily Oklahoman", September 9, 1911
-"Daily Oklahoman", September 23, 1911
-"Daily Oklahoman", September 24, 1911
-"Daily Oklahoman", September 26, 1911
-"Daily Oklahoman", October 15, 1911
-"Ada Evening News", October 16, 1911
-"Daily Oklahoman", February 2, 1912
-"Daily Oklahoman", April 15, 1912
-"Daily Oklahoman", May 4, 1912
-"Daily Oklahoman", August 17, 1912
-"Daily Oklahoman", April 5, 1914

Caudle, H.W.
H.W. Caudle was a deputy U.S. marshal probably for the Eastern District of Oklahoma in April 1916. In April 1916, Caudle shot and killed a whiskey trafficker named Henry Pitts between Siloam Springs, Arkansas and Oklahoma.
**REFERENCES**
-"Liquor Hauler Fires at Phantom Light and Dies a Victim of Deputy's Strategy", Oklahombres
Journal, Summer 1997, pg. 22
-"Daily Oklahoman", April 29, 1916

On the Trail
Diron Ahlquist
Secretary, Oklahombres Inc.

Posts: 376 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. William Jesse Caudill is my great grandfather's brother. I'm not sure if or how H. W. Caudle is related.
I wanted to contact Ron Owens, author of Jelly Bryce:Legendary Lawman because in this book he tells of 4 Caudill brothers (my uncles) and their father. This Caudill family was living in New Mexico and "Jelly" Bryce was the FBI agent in charge.

posted Hide Post
I saw Ron yesterday. I can pass on the message if you would like.

Posts: 18 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Fri June 06 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your reply. Please do, tell Ron Owens that I would really like to visit with him regarding his book about "Jelly" Byrce. You can give him my phone number and/or email.
Sandy Rubio-Boitel
ph. 321-724-8096
email srubioboitel@cfl.rr.com

posted Hide Post
I'm looking for information on Jasper Owens U.S. Marshall in the territories ca 1880-1910.
where would I go since I'm not in Oklahoma?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Fri September 05 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try to find a library that has the Annual Reports for the U.S. Attorney General's Office.

These reports can be found at state libraries and some university libraries. The Oklahoma State Library has the reports from 1877 throuh 1931. The reports were first issued in 1870 and stopped in 1931. Each state (and territory) is listed giving the names, dates of appt., salaries of marshals and deputy marshals.

Thanks to another contributor to this forum, I found these a couple months back and have actually found some people listed there. Since these reports carry informatoin on every state in the union, I would think the state library in the state where you live would have these.

Take a magnifying glass with you.

Posts: 130 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Mon September 04 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post