OklahombreS Online!    oklahombres.org    oklahombres.org  Hop To Forum Categories  General Oklahombres  Hop To Forums  Oklahombres "Connections"    Poe and Kimes Connection
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poe and Kimes Connection
 Login/Join

posted
I couldn't find the original query about the Poes and Kimes being related, but to whomever asked, I believe you are right. My brother in law is related to the Poes (his grandparents) and in the past mentioned they were related to Kimes. When I talk to him I will ask him to be more specific. Is anyone on the board related to the Kimes or Poes or any of the lawmen/outlaws?

Posts: 16 | Registered: Sun July 31 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<MKoch>
posted
Hi,

The Poe family of Hughes County, Oklahoma during the 1920s were related to Kimes gang leaders; George and Matt Kimes. Fred Poe was a cousin to the boys and was involved in the burglary of a general store owned by T. J. Sanford in Non, Oklahoma on December 15, 1924. They took mostly merchandise from the store amounting to only $17.50. Matt & George were apprehended, convicted and sent off to prison for two years. Joe Poe's case was dismissed. I know of some Kimes family members, most who did not want their names released to anyone.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is what I'm talking about, the Non Poes. I can understand the privacy issue; but, I was simply curious since there is so much knowledge about these characters (any and all).
Thanks for the answer to the query.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Sun July 31 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a Kimes Cemetery located near Chester, AK, which is a small town just north of Fort Smith and Van Buren. I've been there. Someone has a list of names of the people buried there, but I cannot remember who. Don't know if this is any help.

Posts: 48 | Location: Shasta Lake City, CA | Registered: Tue December 30 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<MKoch>
posted
Hi,

I have an old list of burials at the Kimes' Cemetery, but there use to be a list at the Ft. Smith library. I would try there first or attempt to find a list through "Find a Cemetery" on the internet, it may have a list too. Good luck.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a map, a pictue and a short list of those buried in the Kime Cemetery at

[http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=54634&CScn=kime&CScntry=4&CSst=4&

Posts: 2 | Location: Pauls Valley, Garvin County - OK | Registered: Thu September 08 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The list I saw included all the marked graves. As with all cemeteries, some are unmarked. The list was hand written. A lady in Chester had the list. She was a local school teacher. At the time, the Kimes Cemetery was on private property, and we required an introduction by a local man to get onto the property. The cemetery is located near the town of Chester, Arkansas. I was surprised to find that my great grandfather had such an extensive marker, as the family was quite poor. His name was James Ford, Born Jan. 23, 1856 - died Feb. 14, 1885. As I recall, there were about fifty graves there. Many former Confederates, though my great grandfather was not one of them. Too young to begin with, and his family all fought for the Union in Missouri.

Posts: 48 | Location: Shasta Lake City, CA | Registered: Tue December 30 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was never able to find a connection with the Non-Poes to the Poe's of Poe-Hart Gang fame...Maybe distant counsins at best...

Posts: 126 | Registered: Wed December 10 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post