Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ma Barker Gang
 Login/Join

posted
In doing research on the various family lines that I am related to, I have discovered a cousin who was a girl friend of Harry Campbell's , and was a minor part of the Barker gang acitivites. Shw was born and raised in the Tulsa area, and she became involved with Campbell during the time that she was singing in various nightclubs in the Tulsa area.
Rick Mattix contacted me re: her for his new book on the Barkers, and I have supplied him with all of the data that I have.
Is it possible that the OSBI would have any investigation files still in extistence, even after some 60 odd years on this.
I have everything that the FBI has on her, which was in the Barker file on the Freedom of Information website, and have been told by the Federal Burea of Prisons that records of her incarceration (1935-1940 approximately) no longer exist due to the time involved.
The Tulsa Police Department has no records going back that far, except for what Ron Trekill salvaged before they were destroyed, and this was primarily on major criminals that were arrested by the TPD during this era.
I do know that she was paroled sometime before 1940, jumped parole, went to California, and I have lost track of her from there.
Any help would be appreciated.

Chuck

Posts: 7 | Registered: Mon December 08 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Mike Koch>
posted
Hi Chuck,

I have various items on the Barker gang members that I gave to Rick Mattix years ago. However, some things he may not have that I have acquired since then. What is this girl's name? If I have anything, I will reply back to you. I live in Tulsa, Ok. My E-mail address is MJK2852@aol.com Bye for now.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Webmaster
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

The OSBI does not have any records going back that far. The Oklahombres Journal has published a few articles on the Barker gang. I will try to locate those back issues and see if they might be useful to you.

If you have a photo of Wynona Burdett, and it can be scanned, you might consider posting it here. I think you can attach photos to these messages.

Dee Cordry
okhombre@ionet.net
Oklahombres.org webmaster

Posts: 158 | Location: Piedmont, OK | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Webmaster
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

The following is an excert from our 2 part article on the Barkers from the Oklahombres Journal:

Following the killing of Ma and Fred Barker, Alvin Karpis and Harry Campbell fled north to Atlantic City. Cornered by police at the Dan-Mor Hotel, on January 20, 1935, they shot their way out and escaped. Their mistresses, Dolores Delaney and Wynona Burdette were captured and later sentenced to 5-years for harboring federal fugitives. Dolores gave birth to a son in custody, named Raymond Alvin Karpis, who was given to Karpis' parents in Chicago to raise.

Karpis and Campbell kidnapped a doctor in Pennsylvania and stole his car, releasing him unharmed in Ohio and abandoning the car in Michigan. They later organized a new gang, robbed a mail truck in Warren, Ohio of $72,000 in April 1935 and a mail train at Garrettsville, Ohio of $34,000 in November 1935. One member of the new gang was the Barkers' old friend Sam Coker, whose parole from the Oklahoma state prison was allegedly bought by Karpis.

Dee
Cool

Dee Cordry
okhombre@ionet.net

Posts: 158 | Location: Piedmont, OK | Registered: Wed November 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
maddog
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike & Everybody,

Any info leads, tips, photos, etc., on the Barkers, Karpis, any of their Oklahoma (or beyond) associates, such as Q.P. McGhee, Elmer Inman, Harry Campbell, James Lawson, Glen Wright, George "Burrhead" Keady (or Katy), Sam Coker, Bill Weaver, Will Green, Wynona Burdette, etc., is certainly more than welcome here. Any help anyone can give in this area is deeply appreciated and will be duly acknowledged.
as ever,
Rick Mattix

Posts: 98 | Registered: Thu November 27 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<domicile>
posted
the person radiocircman is seeking would be wynona burdette.

maddog
posted Hide Post
Would especially like to run down Edna "The Kissing Bandit" Murray, girlfriend of Volney Davis and wife of Fred "Diamond Joe" Sullivan and K.C. criminal Jack Murray. Her maiden name was Stanley, born in Cardin, KS and lived in '20's in Sapulpa, OK. Last record I have is 1956, when she testified for government against Volney Davis, defeating his appeal for a new kidnapping trial. Was then using name of Martha Edna Potter, address unknown.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cordry:
Chuck,

The OSBI does not have any records going back that far. The Oklahombres Journal has published a few articles on the Barker gang. I will try to locate those back issues and see if they might be useful to you.

If you have a photo of Wynona Burdett, and it can be scanned, you might consider posting it here. I think you can attach photos to these messages.

Dee Cordry
okhombre@ionet.net

Dee,
I have several of Nonie, one from True Detective that is "cheesecake", and one that ran on the AP wire after Nonie was captured showing her looking out through the bars, along with Dillinger's girl friend and Machine Gun Kelly's wife.
In in the process of transferring from an old system to a new one, but I'll see if I can ge them on in a few days or so.
Thanks for the reply on the OSBI files.

Chuck

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maddog:
Hi Mike & Everybody,

Any info leads, tips, photos, etc., on the Barkers, Karpis, any of their Oklahoma (or beyond) associates, such as Q.P. McGhee, Elmer Inman, Harry Campbell, James Lawson, Glen Wright, George "Burrhead" Keady (or Katy), Sam Coker, Bill Weaver, Will Green, Wynona Burdette, etc., is certainly more than welcome here. Any help anyone can give in this area is deeply appreciated and will be duly acknowledged.
as ever,
Rick Mattix

Rick,
Get in touch with Ron Trekell, who wrote the Tulsa Police Department history, I think he managed to save a lot of the TPD files from that era that were going to be discarded.
You might find something there.

Chuck

<Mike Koch>
posted
quote:
Hi Mike & Everybody,

as ever,
Rick Mattix

Hi Rick,

I gave you several items on the Barkers in Miami, Oklahoma in the late 1990's when I first met you and hope you can and will use them. I also gave them to Ron Trekell. If you remember we both worked on the A & E program on the Barker's a few years ago and we are listed in the credits. I may be able to help you if you wish on a specific area I can get from Tulsa area if you like. I am writing a story on Ma's and Freddies demise in Florida probably to be publishing later in 2004. All of the names are familuar to me, but you need to be specific as to what you are wanting. I am completing my Kimes Gang manuscript and will be doing one on Underhill after that. I heard a rumor that you too were planing to do some sort of project on Underhill too. I wish you would have worked with me years ago when I had asked you to do some type of project with me. We have simular interests and I don't think we should duplicate works, do you? Anyway, you have been working on the Barkers for some time now as I have with Underhill and I hope it turns out good for you. Bye for now.

Sincerely, Mike

posted Hide Post
My great-grandfather was shot and killed by Doc Barker in Tulsa, Ok. He was the night watchman at St. Johns Hospital in 1921.I was wondering if anyone has info on this matter. I have photos of my great-grandfather.
Mike Atkins

Posts: 5 | Location: tulsa ok usa | Registered: Fri December 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Webmaster
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I am pretty sure that we have had an article in the Oklahombres Journal about that incident, I think it was written by Joe Haines. I will find it for you.

It would be great to see the photos. Can they be digitized?

Bye for now,
Dee
Cool

Dee Cordry
okhombre@ionet.net

posted Hide Post
I CAN SCAN THEM AND TRY TO POST THEM. I HAVE SOME NEWSPAPER ATICLES. I ALSO RAN INTO ARTICLES ABOUT MY GRANDMOTHERS BROTHER,WHICH IS THEIR FATHER THAT WAS KILLED BY DOC BARKER, AND WIFE WERE IN JAIL AT THE SAME TIME THEY HAD DOC IN JAIL FOR HIS FATHER, MY GREAT GRANDFATHER,MURDER. DOC AND MY GREAT UNCLE WERE 2 OR 3 CELLS FROM EACH OTHER. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFO
THANX,MIKE

Posts: 5 | Location: tulsa ok usa | Registered: Fri December 12 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike,
This is a link for the history of St. John's on the OU Med College page. It popped up the other day when I was doing a Google search on the Barkers.
Your ggf, Thomas J. Sherrel, is mentioned there.

http://tulsa.ou.edu/im/sjmchistory.htm

Chuck

maddog
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Would like to hear more from you on this. Drop me a line, if you like.
Rick Mattix
701 Jackson
Bussey, IA 50044
email:
maddogmattix@hotmail.com
rickmattixmaddog@mad.scientist.com

posted Hide Post
thanks for the link mike
quote:
Originally posted by radiocircman:
Mike,
This is a link for the history of St. John's on the OU Med College page. It popped up the other day when I was doing a Google search on the Barkers.
Your ggf, Thomas J. Sherrel, is mentioned there.

http://tulsa.ou.edu/im/sjmchistory.htm

Chuck

posted Hide Post
Rick,
What would you like to hear about? i have alot of newspaper articles and trial info from the court house. I pics of my great grandfather Thomas J. Sherrill.
quote:
Mike,
Would like to hear more from you on this. Drop me a line, if you like.
Rick Mattix
701 Jackson
Bussey, IA 50044
email:
maddogmattix@hotmail.com
rickmattixmaddog@mad.scientist.com

maddog
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,
I have a newspaper article or two from Tulsa relative to your great-grandfather's murder but anything you'd care to share would be great. The photos and court records sound very interesting.
Rick

<domicile>
posted
Rick Mattix

Edna Murray was born in the Marion, Kansas area, north of Wichita......she had family in southeast Kansas when she and Jess Doyle were taken into custody. She had a number of other brothers in Oklahoma.
While she changed her name for the umpteenth time to testify against Volney Davis, who she called "Fordney", any news article (associated press?) of the trial may mention the city where she lived.

maddog
posted Hide Post
Only ones I've seen say she wouldn't state where she was living at the time. I may run across it in other papers maybe....?